Thursday, April 26, 2007

Detroit, Here I Come!

I feel like a hypocrite after yesterday's post. I am off to Detroit to do three segments on Shay Pendray's Needlearts Studio PBS t.v. Show. I fly today and return Friday night. I am totally ill-prepared but since I'm talking about what I know, I think I can pull it together okay. I have quite a few hours in the hotel for swatching and with the illustration deadline, I haven't had time to do anything but draw and paint. Our sweet little farmhouse looks like a bomb hit it, but I'm leaving and don't have to look at it. It doesn't seem to bother any of the inhabitants.

Last night, I picked up the Kristin Knits projects at a girl's track meet in Buckland, Massachusetts so that I would be able to bring them with me and show them on the t.v. segments (along with the Julia yarn). While there, I spoke with the COO of Storey Publishing (the publisher of CS and the new KK) and he gave me great news - Michael's (the giant craft chain) has been re-ordering Colorful Stitchery like crazy and it's going to re-print.

Although in my personal life, I prefer frequenting and supporting small businesses who are independently owned, this hasn't help my bottom line with Colorful Stitchery. It seems there are very few independents left who sell stitchery items (correct me if I am wrong, you shop-owners out there who sell stitchery, read my blog, and who bought the stitchery kits from JCA). It seems the best dollar (and maybe only) is with stores like Michael's, JoAnn's, and Hobby Lobby for this book.

I am so proud of what I have done with
CS and it seems a shame that knitters who perhaps know my work haven't embraced it and crossed over the stitchery void - or maybe they just aren't interested. The folks at Storey think it's too "early." Whatever it is, I hope it catches on more sometime because it is such a beautiful piece of work (in my humble, or not so humble, opinion).

I honestly can't wait to get back to "Farm, Sweet Farm" on Friday night and see what else is blooming. The flowers shown here popped up overnight on Wednesday - they are such a vivid shade of blue. The kittens are growing too! Happy weekend everyone!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a full and interesting life you lead Kristin. Have fun in Detroit and good luck with your new book!

Kary said...

Bon Voyage .... have a great time!
When is you new book expected to be released? N~joY!

Lisa Carney said...

Kristin, I'm a knitter who bought your book because it was yours, and because it was so beautiful it made me want to try stitchery. One day. Haven't done it yet, but it's in the big plan.
Incidentally, we have a friend in common - Linda P., formerly of Great Yarns in Raleigh. I taught some classes for her there. And, I was lucky enough to have her ask me to submit a design to Nashua that was published a year or two ago.
Your blog is always so beautiful, whether it's about knitting, stitching, or farming! I always enjoy reading-
Lisa in NC

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Best of luck!

LindaSonia said...

I watch her show on PBS... when will your segment air? How exciting for you!

Anonymous said...

Like Lisa, I'm a knitter (and sewer, and spinner) who bought your book too. And I haven't done anything from it yet either. But not because it isn't beautiful and ispiring and filled with great ideas... I just haven't seemed to have the time or the place to use the ideas.
Now that Summer is here (I teach) and I've moved to a new place that needs a big shot of color (!) I know that I can and will break out the stitchery.
But I will still be working it in and around my other textile loves.

By the way, I don't think it's hypocritical of you to go away... it seems to me that it's not that you should never work on a Saturday again... but that there is balance. Some time outside is balanced by the time at home.
I'm working on finding that balance for myself... it's hard when you love your work and your family, and both need you. I guess that's why I'm writing this from work... on a Sunday.

Amy said...

It's not hypocritical, don't worry. Have fun here in Detroit (it's not so bad, after all!)

Anonymous said...

Kristin,
I was just over at whoopsydaisy and she pointed the way to a site you might love. ThreadingWaters, she has a mother's day project that might be up your alley. Am planning on sending you pictures of Claire's finished project from Colorful Stitchery it's fab!

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...